Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Decorating with MOSS

Welcome Spring! 
We've had some beautiful weather the past couple of days.
So naturally it was time to change the look on the front door.
I'd been looking around for a new idea and here is the result:
I started out with a simple wood letter I found at JoAnn's
  And a package of Instant Green 16 x 18 sheet of Moss. 
A hot glue gun in hand...
....the creating began! I loved working with this moss, it was so easy!
Here's how I did it:
 Lay the moss face down and with the letter on top, face down.
 Add hot glue so it sticks to the face of the letter.
Cut about 1/2 inch all the way around the letter.  
And cut at an angle on the corners.
Like this:
 Wrap the moss all the way around the letter.
Hot gluing along the way.
 Add some hardware to top for hanging. 
These are nice because they screw in and I was able to do it by hand without predrilling any holes.
Depending on your letter, you may need only hanger.
 I added a little bird as an accent.
Use a little piece of moss to cover to stick. 
 I used twine like this:
Ribbon would look cute too.
 I added a bow and tied it a little off-set.
 I had some leftover moss...
 ... and a vase that I just wasn't ever using.
So I hot glued various pieces all over the vase. 
And it turned out great!
I was having so much fun with the moss.
I searched through a bin of balls in the garage and covered one of them!
And then another vase, until I ran out of moss. 
Time to make a trip to JoAnn's!
Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. So cute!! When you get tired of it, it just so happens I have the same letter for my last name and you can just pass it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally adorable!! I'm an 'M' too...might just have to copy you and spruce up my front door! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute! this has been on my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bird- there are so many things you can do with moss- so little time. Come link this up to my Workshop Wednesday party- Love to see you there goobyecityhellosuburbs

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this tutorial! i fell in love with it and decided to make myself a mossy letter using the tutorial you posted here :)

    http://coliewallace.blogspot.com/2011/04/mossy-w.html <<thats the post with my finished product incase you wanna see!

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...