Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY Schoolhouse Chalkboard

I'm so excited to present you my School House Chalkboard!
I made it myself! And I'm going to show you how.
I'm having so much fun finding new phrases, verses and sayings and testing out new techniques!
My inspiration and idea came from one of my favorite blogs by Susie Harris
She blogged about how she made herself a School House Chalkboard (you can find her's here), 
and she got her idea from someone else. Don't you just love this blogging community? So fun!

I bought the following materials at Lowe's and had the pieces cut to my specifications:

1/8" Hardboard for the chalkboard face and the backing. Hardboard is sold in huge pieces, so you will have to have it cut down in order for it to even fit in your car!
(1) 24 x 34 
(1) 27 x 39

Beginning from Top to Bottom I had the following pieces cut:
(2) 27" 1 x 2 (the two pieces surrounding the flat middle piece)
(1) 27" Pine Project Board 1/2 x 6 (the large flat piece in the top middle)
(2) 36" 1 x 2 (the side pieces)
(1) 22" 1 x 2 (the bottom Piece)

The picture above shows all my pieces laid out before painting, gluing and nailing it all together.
 I lightly sanded all the edges of everything that was to be painted white 
and then found some high gloss white paint and went to work.
 Next I laid out my my hardboards (after painting on the chalk board paint on the smaller piece).
 I used regular old wood glue to adhere the two pieces together.
 I went to town with the glue!
 I think I let it dry overnight just to ensure it wouldn't shift when I add the top, sides and bottom.
 After gluing the top together I glued on the bottom and the sides. 
I love using heavy cans as a weight to keep everything in place!
 Attaching the sides...
 I had my husband take these pictures. 
He went a little happy with the camera that day!
I had to delete many many pictures of close-ups on the glue, the cans...
 After the glue dried I added a couple small finishing nails on the back side.
 And on the bottom. 
I forgot to take a picture of the next step, but I used caulk at all the seams for a nice smooth finish.
 Now for the fun stuff! With the side of the chalk I seasoned up the board.
 It's important to use a cloth (and not a paper towel) when removing the chalk. 
The paper towel leaves leftovers behind. 
I keep a damp cloth on hand when I'm working on my lettering.
 I drew some lines on my board to use as a guide 
and then searched Pinterest to find great chalkboard art. This is by far by favorite!
 I free-handed all the lettering 
(although there are some "tricks" for transferring phrases to your chalkboard)
 Check out Dear Lille who is amazingly talented and created this chalkboard art! She offered downloadable versions of this, for those of you who like to admire but don't want to create
Here is a list of all she has to offer.
 I had so much fun even before Easter was even over
I erased the whole board and created something new!
 And again! Gotta love the lettering on the words "Firm & Secure!" I wish I was that good! 
Next week I'll show you how to transfer lettering onto your chalkboard. And some of my techniques.
Here's what's hanging in my kitchen now! 
I love the different styles of lettering and the use of colored chalk!
Don't forget to come back next week for Chalkboard lettering and the DIY!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous chalkboard Chessa! Love the photos of each step. So I can't write my name straight with a pen…can you come letter my kitchen chalkboard??? TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...